Thursday, March 4, 2010

White Snow? Sand?






What a gorgeous day, bright blue skies and actually warm for a change. Snow or Sand? White Sands National Monument and what a sight to see. I took the 8mi drive through the dunes and watched the video in the visitor's center. The dunes move at least 30' a year covering up all vegetation except those that "reach for the sky." The yucca will show about two feet at the top of the dune and have 30' roots. At 30' per year I couldn't help but wonder how they kept the roads clear, and at that very moment a snow plow comes chugging around the bend. Wow! This is a surreal place. Fortunately, it was very still and absolutely no wind. I would not want to be here on a windy day. Of course, wind makes the dunes. Now this is my idea of a desert. You can camp there if there are no missile tests being conducted. The tests aren't actually done on the dunes but just north of them. Must be quite the sight.

As I was leaving the Visitor Center a guy comes walking up and asks me if I am from La Veta. Small world. It was George (don't know last name) who had come to my house for the Studio Tour last summer. Hey Mom, he's the one that left the White Sox book for you.

I pulled into Deming around noon and parked at the LoW's RV Park. Swore I would never do it but I joined LoW's and get a week's stay for $73. Not bad for full hook-ups. Oh, LoW stands for Loners On Wheels. It goes without saying that I'm not nearly as old as these nice folks (only when I look in the mirror)!

Another casita was camped there and after walking the Fox I went over to introduce myself. Turns out it belongs to a guy named Warren from Colorado Springs. He is pretty nice, came over later and we had a nice chat.

I am going to move to another spot tomorrow and I plan to stay here 7 days or until I get my dental work done. Cool your jets, Mom! That's right, I am going to Palomas, Mex. to see the dentist. He is the same fellow I met in La Veta who Deb went to see. My app't is for Sat. In the meantime, I plan to check out Rockhound and Pancho Villa state parks.

Today will be spent moving Casita, getting groceries, checking out Deming and going by the hardware store. Seems I lost a washer from the screw-knob that holds one side of the awning in place. Always some teeny weeny, tentsy tiny something or other on the teeny tiny Casita to attend to. Maybe I'll even find a place to have the Fox washed and dried.

No comments: