Monday, March 15, 2010

Sonoran Desert




Quite simply, the Sonoran Desert has captured my spirit. The stillness of the morning is so deep it is as if you can experience a solid atmosphere of clarity holding you close. . . a sound wave slowed by light years, too weak to continue its journey has settled around you whispering of the past. This is a connectedness not often experienced on anything other than an ordinary morning. A day's beginning laid out as a gift for the taking. I am so moved by this gift that I just stand motionless least the whole universe disappears in the blink of an eye. Every where my eye is drawn brings with it a new brilliance, a new depth of feeling deep in my soul. A desert varmint scurries from under a Joshua tree, stops, and gives me a slanted eyed look as if to say "If you think you can describe this lady, then you don't know what you don't know!" Ah, poop! I know he is right. The Fox looks up at me with his "let's get going, it's my walk" look. So we get going. But I decide right then and there that we're staying in this place at least 2 more days.

I suppose you could say that I had a lilt to my step as we walked through the desert back to camp. This would be a wonderful day. And, so it was complete with a little book reading, relaxing in the sun, walking the Fox and trying to capture this beauty on camera. Alas, not doing so well in that category.

At this moment the sun has collapsed behind the mountain and the bats have come out to play. The bats in this area are so tiny and they make these little darty, zig zaggy moves. You know they are eating something, but what? I don't think I've seen an insect since I've been here, certainly not a mosquito.

The evening ends as the morning begins. . . the wonderful stillness that defies explanation and can only be felt, that is, if you are noticing.

No comments: