Sunday, March 28, 2010

Home At Last

Now I know where all the water in the Rio Grande goes. There are a series of lakes from Las Cruces to Santa Fe and probably more upstream. Our last night was spent on Cochiti Lake 17 miles south of Santa Fe. Cochiti is a corps. of engineers project and a beautiful camping area. Cost the Golden Agers $7 for E/W for a night. Wow, can't beat that. Part of the area is on the river and looks like good kayaking. Fox and I had a restful night preparing for the flight home.

Always a pretty drive from Santa Fe to La Veta via LV Pass. Just as we were traveling through Wild Horse Mesa country there they were. . . a herd of wild ones. Seeing the horses is always a thrill for me. The roads were fine all the way and we pulled into LV around 2:30. My drive was covered in more than a foot of snow so I dropped the Casita in front of friend Janey's house. Then I was off to the hardware store to pick up some antifreeze then back to the Casita to winterize, clean out the fridge and load the car with food and necessities. The Fox was having an anxious time during all of this and indicated by his glare that he wanted to be home!

We finally made it 1/3 of the way up the drive only to bog down in the deep stuff. Fox was thrilled to jump out and struggle up the hill. He loved it, me, on the other hand, huffed and puffed under my load of essentials to the house. Needless to say, I made a few recuperative stops along the way. Wow, the house looked so clean and bright, like a welcome beacon. I put down my bags and flopped down to catch my breath.

Good to be back. And just in time because the next day we got dumped on again. Another foot of snow. I have every hope that today I will be able to extract the old jeep from its white grip and begin to get back to normal. Figuring out what normal is will be a challenge. Next trip, Route 66 and Little Plastic Trailers starting in May. Until then, we remain:

Judy Colorado and the Travelin Fox

No comments: