Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pink Store Palomas, MEX



Tuesday is LoWs' lunch at the Pink Store. What a place, they simply have everything and good food. Live entertainment, too. I loved it. The first margarita is free and they served a free, almond liquor after lunch. I was a designated driver so I gave Joyce (a fellow Casitan) a ride home. Prior to that, however, we had to spend an hour or so browsing. I bought a few Day of the Dead figures and some colorful oil cloth. Joyce and I had an interesting chat on the way home. She is from Oregon and planning to relocate to where, she doesn't know yet. This is her maiden voyage into retirement. Right now she is full-timming, visiting friends and relatives.

These people really are interesting and seem to enjoy being without mortar/walls. Don't know if I am ready for that yet. During our walk this morning, Peter pointed out Box Willie's place (note picture). Yep, you guessed it, his place is a custom built affair. I met him, Willie, who's real name is Crow at the social last night. He did mention that someone brought him some food from the pot luck and all he wanted was to be left alone. Crow has a rather overall dishevelled look about him and I didn't get close enough for the sniff test. He is boon-docking out on the north 40. Crow let it be known that he wasn't living in his "thing" by choice. There's a story hidden there. He sort-of reminds me of the VN Vets you meet in the mountains. A different sort that the hippy.

Speaking of hippy, I sat across from Fran at the lunch. When she came in she had on one of those circle scarves you put over your head. This one was the fuzzy yarn topped off with her old black cowboy hat. She looked like she had a cascade of chartreuse hair on her not quite matching sweater with rhinestone adornment. Oh, she had a "simple" gold nose ring. Not too flashy, and equally subdued earrings. Of course, she is multi talented and tans leather using animal brains just like the natives did. She liked my leather vest. I just "listened and learned."

Almost forgot to mention Rally. Yep, ole Rally. She is around 80 with long red hair done in an upsweep, large curl at the top. Looks kinda like a reverse Mohawk. What a dancer, could she go and did she go. I enjoyed meeting her.

I've included a pic of the Crow's Nest and the lunch at the Pink Store.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blogging. Very interesting group of people, eh!! So glad you are enjoying your dream. Sorry we'll miss each other but will probably see you in La Veta sometime. J

Cougarjean said...

Judy and Foxy - You two are having way too much fun without us! Your blog is awesome. I miss camping with you. Plenty of snow to come home to......
She Who Doesn't Sit or something