Friday, February 19, 2010

River Walk

The last two days were spent in sunny, almost warm San Antonio. Such a delightful city and so beautiful! Although, I had lived here 33 years ago I was hard pressed to recognize much as I entered the city. So many big green signs that weren't there before. I did manage to recognize some of the street signs that would take me to old neighborhoods. The traffic was intense. Traveler's RV Park was nestled in a somewhat "iffy" part of town about ten minutes from the city. Checking in went well but the hookup process revealed a lost water hose. Seems I didn't quite get the box locked and the hose fell out along the way. What is this, #4 or 4 1/2??? Ah well, onward and upward.

Nancy, Ginny, Kathy, Gary and I had a happy reunion and celebrated with dinner in Kathy's RV. Corn casserole, biscuits, salad, and peanut buster parfait. Oh fat, fat, fat but good, good, good!

Yesterday was spent walking the River Walk and the little village of La Villita and taking in the shops. I remember going to La Villita ta by myself and enjoying the serenity of the old adobe houses and quiet streets. That was long ago but it surprisingly looked and felt much the same. La Villita was across the river from old San Antonio where the soldiers who married Mexicans/Indians had to live. Kinda the "other side off the tracks" in modern day towns. However, far more charming.

An old high school friend, Steve, met me for coffee and we had a brief reminiscence catching up on family news. He and I have known each other since 10th grade and were good pals. When Clay and I moved to SA in'72 Steve and his wife, Madgie became friends. We have kept in touch throughout the years. Steve's dad and my dad were both pilots in the Air Force and for a number of years both families were stationed at the same AFBs. That is about the only way we could have an extended friendship in the Air Force.

Last night we all celebrated our last night at Mia Terrea cafe. What a place. It is owned by one family dynasty who opened it in '41. There was room after room highly decorated in Mexican Fiesta style, lovely lights, flower bouquets, pinatas and banners hanging from the ceiling. Impossible to describe it's beauty. One room featured a 50' mural of the family and events of the times.. Quite lovely. Food was good, too.

This am Ginny, Nancy and I head out to Seminole Canyon State Park where it promises to be warm and sunny. Sounds good to me!

No comments: