Monday, February 8, 2010

Hunker Down

After almost 700 miles I had arrived at Hunker Down (Jill's place on the lake) and was about to back into a preapproved area with the help of Jack, next door neighbor's 30 some yr old son who operated on a little less than 2 AA batteries. He was so sweet, and so very confused. I always do much better backing on my own (when I can see the road). Jill also chipped in to offer a hand. At least she kept me out of the ditch. After a week of rain the place was like soup. Thanks to the jeep "Chili Pepper" I managed not to get stuck and parked appropriately after about 30 min of left and right. The only mishap was when Jack put his hand in the window to welcome Foxy @$#%^&* Ah, Jack, wadya do that for? No broken skin due to Jack's quick reaction jumping out of harm's way. Did I mention it was raining? Oh yes.



It was good to get into the house, get into dry clothes, take a muscle relaxer (Jill's a nurse practitioner) for the back pain, maxalt for the migraine (yes, another one) and sip my hot chocolate while relaxing on my heating pad. It didn't take long to want to crawl into bed and snuggle up with the Fox for a good night's sleep.



Next morning it was raining. Neither of us was in a hurry to move so Jill fixed scrambled eggs, bacon and biscuits for breakfast. What are friends for? After breakfast we napped a bit then dressed and hit wal-mart. I was still looking for a thermostat but no luck. We were going to see a movie but my head was still in a bad place so I opted out. Jill took me to a place for lunch with real home cookin.



I guess I had been away long enough to forget that home cookin meant lots of grease and fried stuff and that north TX was cowboy country. We ate at the TNT. Since it was Sunday after church the place was full of folks and families. Two little boys around 6 and 7 were dressed in Sun best down to their polished pointy boots, hats and string ties. Mama had on her sparkly dress and Daddy his best black leather jacket and hat. A real Texas cowboy family. As they were leaving I noticed a middle aged couple (30s) come in. She was sporting an 8" long 3" wide silver cross around her next and a sharp lookin black vest embellished with silver sparkles in the shape of a cross on each breast and on the back. Of course, she had on the usual black boots and jeans. A baseball cap with a large, silver sparkle cross on each side completed the outfit. I think she went to some kinda Christian church.



I couldn't finish my hamburger with grilled onions and let some of the onions slide out onto the plate. No forks or knives, just napkins and I was thankful for those. After lunch we stopped by Braums for ice cream. At last, real food, I had a cuppachino with choco chunks. Goooooood!



Back to the house in time for a nap before dinner. By this time the place was swimming in water and Jill kept saying "Don't, worry, it won't flood." Who, me worry???? Right about that time the neighbor, Cheryl, came over with homemade goat cheese for us. She is a delight. Former engineer who quit to become a goat farmer. She raises Nigerian Dwarf Goats and one had just had a baby that morning. I can't wait to visit the farm and help her feed the babies. That will happen when the rain slows down or ends. I was gifted with 3 kinds of cheese; honey fig, apricot, and heavenly "plane".

Shortly after Cheryl left Jill took off for McKinney and back to work on Monday. I dined on banana and cereal before falling into bed at the first hint of darkness. Then the rains came, hard all night complete with thunder and lightening.

No comments: