Monday, February 8, 2010

"As The Rain Falls" North Texas

Here we are, on the road again. I had a "feeling" about this trip, not a good one. The first day out driving across New Mexico was bright and sunny. Snow had just preceeded us and looked to be about 2 to 3 feet, although, the highway was clear. Thanks be to God on that one. Highway 87 from Raton to Clayton, NM never fails to bring fond memories of travel times long ago. The landscape was even more spectacular with the snow and the grasses barely breaking through to form a caramel glaze on top of a foamy latte. Instead of the usual way to Amarillo via Boy's Ranch Road, we headed through Dumas. It occurred to me that I hadn't been to Dumas in about 50 years. We pushed on to Amarillo to stay the night, I had my eye on the AOK RV park east of town. Kinda fun going through town remembering my last year in high school and friends at the AFB. The AOK was a miserable choice, most buildings boarded up and mud and slush everywhere. I barely made it out of there with the Jeep in 4x4 and low gear. Thankfully, we didn't get stuck. I headed back to Hwy 287 and the Texas Welcome Center we had passed a couple of miles back. I was so tired, I had to stop for the night. Ran into a TX ranger who promised to keep an eye on me through the night. She was a case, big, big girl who barely fit behind the wheel of her truck. She didn't get out and I guessed there was a reason for that. . . probably took some real work to get in there.
Leave it to the Texans to build the most beautiful Welcome Center I've ever seen. Horzontial stripes of various colored bricks that gave the effect of canyon walls in Palo Duro Canyon. Foxy and I made our way around for walks and he had a grand time. Plenty of open spaces to run. By sundown it was freezing so I hung a wool blanket over the back window, towels over the side windows and one of those space blankets over the front door to keep out the drafts. Then I turned on the stove to heat water for tea and have my dinner of bread and peanut butter. Oh Boy!
Foxy and I got all tucked in with the down comforter and wool pendelton over us. My face was so cold I had to put my head under the blanket. No heater? you ask. Right oh, remember the guy who put in the wrong thermostat. Well, I have been unable to find a new one. So, you might say we roughed it.
In the morning, I suited up to take the Fox for a potty break and opened the door.. . . . I had to throw out my elbows to break a path in the frozen fog just like an ice breaker in the artic. Burrrrr. . . oh Misery. He did his duty and we crawled back into the bleakness of the camper.
Breakfast time. Too bad the refrig had stopped and the milk had fallen over. So of course, when I opened the door yuckie milk spilled everywhere. I cleaned that up and re-lit the frig. Had a gronola bar with coffee. Needless to say I hurried to ready for the day's drive and turn on that car heater! Bad things come in 3s, I had had 2, a very cold night, and mess in the frig. What next? Oh, I did brush my teeth but that was the extent of it and I wore the sweats I had slept in the night before.

No comments: