Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pine Ridge and the Badlands

The wind is howling, at least 50mph, and the Casita is rock'in and roll'in. The drive from Sterling was spectacular. Such lovely colors and green rolling hills. Northern NB is very scenic, a surprise to me.

Last night was warm thanks to my little electric heater. Lots of fog and moisture around the lake. Made for a beautiful view but chilly night. Foxy was up and down, mostly up all night. Hopefully, he will sleep better tonight, although, the wind freaks him out a bit.

When I was approaching Pine Ridge Reservation I couldn't help but see it 200 years ago when the Indians roamed. Knowing it was the res I was curious about what the Lakota did with this beautiful land today. Lots of very large ranches, corn and fields of sunflowers. The little town of Pine Ridge was shocking! There were groups of drunk Indians on every corner, literally. One old man was leaning againt a garage door barely standing. He had a paper bag bottle in one hand and his head was downcast. He had long black hair all matted and dirty. I was truly saddened and suddenly their plight really hit home with me. So very tragic. Every few miles I would see an old tire hanging on a fence with "no hunting" or "no tress". Then there was one with a wreath of flowers on it with the words "no whites." Wow! I could have cried. Here is this beautiful land home to such tragic souls. I couldn't help but think of all the pain and sorrow their ancestors had endured...

It truly is a miracle I arrived in the badlands. On the res each road seems to be labeled once, when you get on it. Then for miles there is nothing except a tiny town that isn't on the map. I figured if I kept heading north I couldn't go wrong.

Just a note about yesterday. About 30 miles out of Sterling the horizon revealed hundreds of white windmills. They were awesome, reminded me of ballet dances dressed in white standing on their hands and their legs whirling about.
The sun will be going down soon and the sunset promises to be a stunner. Tonight the moon is almost full and the sky will be lovely against the ragged peaks of the badlands. Such marvelous beauty. The sky will be particularly lovely since there are no cities nearby to light it up.

There are 2 other Casitas here but I have not talked to anyone. The wind is too bad to stay out too long. The poor guy next to me is on his motorcycle with a tent. He has tried to put it up 3 times and gives up, goes back to the picnic bench and continues to read his book. Other lucky lucky folks are struggling with their tents. Never again will you catch me in one of those nasty things.

I'm off to walk the Fox and get sunset shots.

No comments: