Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Jamestown

Foxy and I are camped just outside of Jamestown, ND. We left Mobridge this am for Mandan. Along the way we stopped at the Sitting Bull memorial. It is a granite statue of Sitting Bull overlooking the Missouri. Very impressive. Unfortunatel, it is kept up by a nonprofit and not very well. The road to the memorial had a lot of weeds in the asphalt. Sad to see.

We traveled quite a ways on the Standing Rock reservation. The res actually belongs to 5 plains Indian Nations. I'd name them but I only remember 2, Sioux and all the others I can't spell. The res was much more impressive that Pine Ridge. Lots of farms and ranches, and of course, sunflowers. I continue to be stunned by the immenceness and beauty of the land. The Indians here appear to be more prosperous that Pine Ridge. But then I really haven't seen everything. Not sure where I'm going tomorrow, at least to Fargo then somewhere on into Minnesota. It is like summer here, 85 deg. Tonight I cooked a steak and corn on the cob, yum. Now i am listening to a Blues CD by a female group. Great music. Foxy is looking out the door ready to challenge anyone who comes along.

The sun is producing another beautiful Dakota sunset. Wow! Life is good, how fortunate I am to be able to travel and see this beautiful country.

No comments: