Saturday, September 20, 2008

Internation Wolf Center

Finally getting around to writing something. Yesterday was a full day and started with rain. Now I know why my sheets were wet! Got a leak in the window or somewhere. Will trouble shoot that when I get to Ripon. Fox and I just finished a 2 mile walk along Lake Superior on a beautiful bike path. What a georgous place. The pictures I took really doesn't do it justice. But isn't that always the case.

The IWC was most interesting. The wolves are outside and you look through glass walls to view them. They have 6 at the present time: two pups four months old, arctic wolves, one male and one female they are the alpha pair. Two other grey wolves, male and female. Hope you enjoy the photos. I spent quite a bit of time watching the wolves and touring the center, not to mention time in the gift shop! There is a human/wolf room with the history of humans view of wolves and a taxidermy wolf pack in the center (no photos allowed). You may wonder where the wolves came from. . . all were recovered killed from the wild. They are posed in various behavorial poses depecting their natural state. Very interesting. I was surprised at the archatecture, modern and yet lent itself to the mood of the wolves. Really nice.

From there I drove through Ely stopping for lunch at the Chocolate Moose. I like the name. Food was excellent, service bad and so was the pie. Ely is a quaint town with a pop of just over 3K. Looks like a nice place to live but I can't help but wonder about the winters. Probably pretty white!

I drove on to Two Harbours where I camped for the night. Boy, was I lucky to get a place. The camp host said everyone was here for the fall colors. Only problem, they really haven't started to turn much here. We are on Lake Superior in a harbour. I can barely see land on the other side, must be WI or Michigan. Steep rocky cliffs and national forest. There is a bike trail that runs several miles along the lake. The weather has been around 75, clear and fall like. Or in other words, perfect.

My stop at the Chocolate Moose has been my only eating out experience since I tried a substandard hamburger at Dairy Queen in Mobridge, SD. I stopped and bought a NY strip and had that with baked potato a couple of nights. Breakfast is usually cereal and fruit or eggs with Jimmy Dean potato, sausage, etc mix. Occasionally I stop for pie, ice cream or MacDonald's biscuits (like everyday). Got to keep up my strength. It is time to pull out of here so more for tomorrow.

No comments: