Sunday, September 14, 2008

On to Pierre

By morning the wind had abated somewhat but it was very cold. Time for my furnace which I lit with success and enjoyed with gratitude. My morning routine other than the obvious first, is take Fox for a quick "outside", make and drink a cup of coffee. Fortunately, I brought along a two cup French Press which works quite well in the absence of electricity. That made it necessary for my second challenge, lighting the stove. Success again along with a fried egg and Jimmy Dean potatoes, onions, sausage and peppers. Yum! Then a long walk with Foxy for a bit of exercise.

The Badlands were beautiful in the morning light and bright blue skies. I took a walk by myself to the visitor center. I strolled around looking for something Indian but most stuff looked like it came out of China via The Cracker Barrel. Then I realized I hadn't gone far enough, the visitor's center was a mile on down the road. Even so, I was pleasantly surprised by a fellow in Elvis sideburns walking around the gift shop with an electric razor trimming up those sideburns. Life is Great!!

After I left the Badlands I ended up on I90 at the C store looking for a tire pressure gauge. A really nice kid with a "braces" smile helped me find the gauge and also fixed my sun glasses I had dropped. While he was doing that three other teens struck up a conversation with me. I told them I came up through Pine Ridge. They wanted to know what I thought. I told them it was depressing. One girl said when you drive though Pine Ridge just be sure you have a lot of gas and don't stop at night. I told her I kinda got that idea just coming through during the day.
Picked up a book "On the Rez" which is all about Pine Ridge Reservation. Should be interesting.

Met a couple from Hubbing, MN who were really nice. They were surprise that I was traveling alone. I assured them I would be alright and that I really didn't have much choice if I wanted to travel.

I am now camped in Pierre at Farm Island Rec area right on the beach. I think it is on part of the Missouri. Very beautiful, quiet with just enough folks to feel secure. The sun is going down now so I want to try and take some pictures.

No comments: