Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Park Rapids, MN

We drove mostly on I94 today. I don't like the interstates because you never go through a town. We are now camped at Breeze Campground outside of Park Rapids. It is very foresty here and hard to see much other than trees. Occasionally, you get a glimpse of a lake. The lake at the campground is Eagle Lake and looks to be a fairly small one. The campground is heavily wooded and full of RV's seemingly parked for the winter. Evidently, folks spend the summer here on the lake fishing or canoeing. I find it rather spooky because very little sun gets through the trees, mostly tall pines and birch. Then of course there is the fact that almost everyone has left. When I drove in the office was closed. After a bit a tall, skinny guy came up to help me out. He assured the owners would be back in the am and that I could go ahead and park. He showed me a spot and guided me while I backed in then said goodbye and told me to holler if I needed anything. Oh, did I mention that he was hollow cheeked, with buzzed black hair and a yellow-toothed smile? Reminded me of Anthony Perkins in Psycho. For all of you lucky enough to be too young or didn't see it, good for you. So, tonight it looks like I load the 'ole six shooter. Foxy just got a pair of my underpants out of the dirty clothes. You can't hide anything from him.

They have showers here so I think I'll do that in the am. Oh, of course, Foxy will join me. He is such a noisy protector.

People at the gas stations always make comments, not like "where are you from? or where are you going" but the first question is always "Are you traveling alone?" They all say how courageous I am. I think it is kind of funny.

Right now I am listening to jazz on my new TV CD player. The artist is the harpist fellow who played in LV. That reminds me that the Celtic thing will be starting soon. Know you are buy Holly and Kay.

This morning I checked the oil and decided I had best add a quart. Couldn't get the cap off to fill it. A guy at the gas station couldn't do it either so I had to stop by the Jeep dealer. Fortunately, it was only 2 blocks away. Kenny, the lube man, helped me and had to use a huge pair of plyer things. He got it off and I asked him if I needed to carry around special tools from now on. He assured me not. I told him I needed a quart of oil, which I had in my hand. He (like every man) needed to check for himself. He put the plunger in and out four times and, yep, it needed oil. Imagine that! I thanked him and was on my way. Well, at least as far a McDonalds for a senior cup of coffee. The other coffee I get at the convenience stores is so bad that I had to buy hot chocolate mix to make it more palatable.

Tomorrow is the big day for me. We will arrive in Ely and the International Wolf Center. I want to take some time and look around the town. Then I will take a scenic drive down the north shore of Lake Superior.

It really is dark out now. I don't know if the full moon will show through all the trees or not. I'm signing off for now so y'all have a nice night.

1 comment:

greg said...

Love the pictures, and the blog. Sounds fantastic. I think the next time you're in town you need to drop in the local gun shop (or coffee shop/convenience store) and buy one of those "Insured by Smith & Wesson" bumper stickers to affix to the trailer. Oh, an NRA decal would be good as well.
Have you thought of changing your identity for all of those strangers along the way? How about you're traveling the country to sell bibles, or you're a witch doctor or you're a sociologist studying he impact that sunflowers have on small town relationships. For those sketchy characters that you come across you could identify yourself as an FBI agent that has been forced to take some time off after your most recent mission where you had infiltrated a terrorist unit. Being a paid assassin is tough work. OK, I'll stop now. Keep up the blogs and pics. Greg