Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mobridge, SD

We are camped along the Missouri in a place called Indian Creek Rec area and the sun is coming up over the hills and water. Although there are many trees in the campground, the landscape around the river is bare. At least it appears bare from a distance. This area is primilary plains and grassland, although, the plains are rolling, reminds me of moguls on a ski slope. Everything is very green and the tall grasses are turning purple and gold. Truly a beautiful place.

Pierre, SD is a charming town. On the way in for at least 50 miles are the National Grasslands. SD seems to be mostly grasslands with interspersed with fields of enormous sunflowers. Very tempting, I really wanted to stop and pick one. Maybe I'll do it. Also I have noticed several bee hives along the way, probably raised to pollenate the sunflowers. The cattle industry looks like it is doing a good business here, too. I used to think of the plains as around OK and TX, but this is spectacular, so immense, you can actually see nothing but grassland all the way to the horizon.

You come upon Pierre quite suddenly, it is nestled in what I would call a hollow next to the missouri river. Quite a picture. I stopped at the Native Cultural Center which houses an excellent collection of the various Indian tribes' artifacts of the area. Quite interesting.

After hearing weather reports of possible flooding near Devil's Lake I decided to head for Mandan, ND today. Mandan is rich in history of Lewis and Clarke, not to mention it is 100miles closer! I will cross the Missouri at Mobridge and travel through the Cheyenne Indian Res.

Fox is looking for a walk and I am hungry so will cut this short. Incidentally, this is probably the most beautiful campground I have stayed in. I took some shots of the full moon rising last night so will post them soon.

No comments: