Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ft. Davis, TX MacDonald Observatory

This is third night in Davis Mountains State Park. Quite lovely here, the mountains range up to allmost 7,000'. Not high compared to Colorado but beautiful all the same. Again, this is high desert, very dry, scrub oak, juniper, pinon, agave, yucca and cactus. The first day we spent looking around Ft Davis. Went into a Thrift shop to benefit the Humane Society and, alas, found just the right coffee pot. A black/decker all plactic that brews 2 cups at a time for only $3.50! Works perfect in the Casita. Then I stopped by a broom shop where the guy makes hand made 1800 brooms. Of course I bought two. Not because I intend to use them but only because they looked good!

Yesterday I spent three hours at the observatory learning about the sun. Also, saw the sun in real time through the telescope, sunflares and sun spots. Very interesting. We then visited the two large telescopes one with a 9' mirror. Very impressive. Last evening I went back for what they call a Star Party. Wow! I saw the moon and venus. The moon was beautiful and I could see the craters quite distinctly. Also saw the Orien Nubula and Star cluster 52. The night sky was heavy with stars. No city lights for many miles and the sky was really dark. The moon was just a sliver with Venus almost right next to it. Stunningly beautiful.

On the way back to the Casita I saw several Javelina. Really ugly little creatures. Fox was ready to chase them when I took him out before bed. One came right in camp and didn't seem to care whether Fox saw him or not. It was 28 this am and is supposed to be 20 in the morning. I am going Van Horn then on to El Paso on Tuesday. It is getting quite cold now. . . almost sundown. Guess I'll take the Fox out one more time.

No comments: