Thursday, February 19, 2009

Back In The Texas Hill Country

Finally, I am back on Blog duty. Took quit a break after Palo Duro Club. From there I went on to McKinney, TX to visit good friend, Jill Ellen. We spent the weekend at her lake cabin in Bonham, TX. Very restful and lovely to just relax and catch up on old and new times. She has 3 Italian greyhounds, they and Foxy got along just great. He had such fun running around Jill's property. Reminded me so much of Palo Duro Club, even the coyotes were singing. When I get pics ready I will load a few.



From McKinney I went to Dallas and stayed with Nancy and Carl Klinke for a couple of days. Nance and I went to Kimbel Museum in Ft. Worth and the Museum of Modern Art. Both were wonderful but I was quite taken with the Modern Art Museuem, beautiful stainless steel sculpture outside by the Japanese pool titled "Conjoined" . The piece looked like two stainless trees reaching out to one another. Fab!! The next day we went to the Museum of Modern Art in Dallas. What a wonderful two days. Then Nancy took me to the airport to fly to Ft. Myers, FL to see Mom. I left my Casita on the lake at jill's place and my car at Nancy's.



Fox and I spent 5 weeks in FL with Mom. Had a very restful time but the weather was cold so I only made the beach twice. We did play golf and I took Fox to the Doggy Park everyday to play with his friends. Mom and I went to a dance for the Golf Scramble folks. Guess it is the big event for the year. I actually danced with real live men. Also played in the Scramble a couple of times. Did manage to visit the Edison/Ford summer estates. WOW, what a couple of magnificant minds. I can only imagine their dinner conversation! I should mention that Fox managed to eat a stick of butter off the dinning table when our backs were turned! Ugh! He was up all night with the Fox Trots! I put beach towels down all over the carpet in my bedroom. Not a pleasant event but the towels saved the day. Haley came to visit us in FL for 4 days. During that time her Dad and his wife Mary also visited. We all went out to lunch. It had been almost 15 years since Mom had seen Clay. It seemed like a life time to me.

I made my way back to Dallas on Feb 12. Went to the Lake to spend a couple of days and pick up the Casita. Jill is a Nurse Prac. with her own clinic so I got some free meds, shingle shot and VB12 shot! Whoopie, I feel great now. Except for a humungus bruise from the shingle shot. I had a reaction so had to take allergy meds. Jill had day off on Monday so she went with me to drop off Casita at the factory for minor repairs and dinette conversion. I got rid of the captains chairs and put in a booth dinette so I could have a twin bed for company. It looks great. I picked it up Wed and headed to Waco.

Spent last night in Reynolds Creek Park run by the Corps of Engineers. Only cost me $10 for the hookups and the place was georgous! The lots were on Lake Waco and each one at least 1/2 acre! I was so tired when I arrived that I didn't have the energy to blog. We got on the road about 10am and I decided to go through Crawford. Nice little town but the Bush's weren't home so I didn't stop. Then went on to Gatesville and ended up in Johnson City. I noticed on Casitaclub.com that there was a Casita rally here at the Miller RV park so I decided to stop on the chance they had some extra spots. Sure enough I got one. Fox and I walked around and met quite a few nice folks. Most of them do rallies every 2 months or so. Boy did they have their Casita's in great shape with all kinds of bells and such. I will leave in the am for somewhere. Haven't decided yet.

Have to say that I felt right at home here in the Hill Country. I had forgotten how much I liked Texans and the countryside is lovely. Rolling hills of cedar trees and mesquite. Saw a ranch with ostrich and Greater Kudu grazing (they kindof look like gazelles but have 3' horns that are swirled). I haven't seen those animals since I left Africa 35 years ago. Game meat must be big business here.

This was a short blog for 6wks worth, but now I feel caught up. I am sure I will be filling in as I go along.

No comments: