Friday, July 4, 2014

LEAVING BUCKINGHORSE RIVER

We drove from Dawson Creek to BUCKINGHORSE River, about 176mi, and stayed the night in a provincial park. Most provincial parks have nice sites with picnic tables, and bear proof trash, however, no water, dump or electric and this was no exception. It did, however, have a couple of extras, a beautiful river and lots and lots of mosquetios!


We donned our mosquetio net jackets and put up our screen room. During our dog walk we met a delightful couple, sister and brother. He was from Nova Scotia and she was from Germany. They were traveling in a tiny trailer sort of like a casita but called a Boler. They have long been out of business.



Our drive from Dawson Creek to BUCKINGHORSE was horrible. Huge semi trucks and gas trucks everywhere. I thought I would get gas but the first place we came to had a sign declaring "no gas". There was an oil company gas statio at BH but since it was complicated and there were three bearded rednecks sitting out front ready to take your money I decided to go to the next one. Typically, gas stations are noted in the MilePost Book, except for oil co gas. The next two were also out of business. It was looking like the oil companies were not only ruining the environment, they were forcing locals out of business. I would have to go on to Fort Nelson's. Fortunately, I had enough gas to make it. At present, I am sitting in a lodge with the slowest internet on the world, the biggest cinnamon rolls and the biggest mosquetios. We are staying here for the night. We did see 2 bear cubs cross the road and a little later a very large bear. I stopped a got some photos. The bear decided to cross the road and came right up to the trailer, very curious. I figured I had better move on before he decided to come along.


Got to thinking that maybe some of you might like to see where I've been living the past few weeks. Here are a few photos.

 




So, there you have it .. My home away from home!


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: