Sunday, July 27, 2014

Anchorage, AK

We pulled out of Seward in the pouring rain and headed north stopping in Girdwood to hit the laundromat, have lunch and take a shower. After I found out the shower was $7 I nixed that. Instead I washed my hair in the bathroom sink and took a PTA bath. Sure felt good. We pushed on to Anchorage, set up camp, walked the dogs and waited for a sunny day promised for tomorrow.

The next day we headed to the Ulu factory to pick up a few gifts then hit the museum! Wow, what a museum it was! The native displays were amazing and once again I was astounded at their ingenuity.

One exhibit, GYRE, depicted ocean trash as art. A gyre is an area in the ocean where the currents trap trash in an enormous whirlpool that swirls forever. There are 5 Gyre in the world trapping plastic, fishing nets, foam, and other waste for eons. I was shocked at the impact on the environment, especially the birds and marine life. For example, an albatross mother feeds her chick from food floating on top of the water and doesn't know plastic isn't food. Consequently, the chick dies of starvation because it becomes full of plastic. I watched part of a film until I couldn't stand anymore. Many products contain microchips of plastic such as defoliating skin wash. The microchips get mixed with plankton ending up as food for whales.

No more plastics for me. It is possible to purchase biodegradable garbage bags. Recycling is an absolute must no matter how inconvenient. Glass containers and bottles are the best because if they end up in the ocean they sink and are natural silica.

Here are a couple of images. When I walk on the beach from now on I will be picking up trash. This exhibit saddened me greatly and changed how I will use plastic forever.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: