Saturday, June 14, 2014

Untitled

June 13, 2014 Later in the day

After leaving Dillon, MT we made our way to Butte, MT. This part of Montana shows off soft, green, gently rolling hills behind which snow covered peaks look down on Prong Horn sprinkled throughout the valleys . Occasionally, a small herd of deer is visible from the highway. The landscape exudes peace and tranquility. Mostly ranching country, towns are far and few between. In Butte I had to stop at a CVS pharmacy to have a couple of prescriptions filled necessitated because ObamaCare makes me use that pharmacy and they do not exist in Colorado or Wyoming. I could have found one in Idaho but not in any of the towns I had to pass through soooooooo Butte was my first option. With the Vet and pharmacy stops we were now about 2 hrs behind schedule.

We had made plans to overnight at Lost Creek State Park. Certainly not a misnomer. It was another hour drive to the park up a very narrow and curvy gravel road and just as I ran out of hope there it was exactly as nuvi had said. I noticed a vintage 70s Winnebago parked in the host site. As we were backing in our chosen sites a very large Montana Bubba emerged from the Winnie. He ambled over to me and with a big, toothless smile informed me that blue birds were nesting in the tree stump where I was about to park. Still smiling, he allowed that about a mile up the road were more sites right by the "not to be missed" waterfall. That sounded like a good idea to us so as we pulled out Bubba hollered "I'll be up to check on things in a bit."

We selected sites next to the fast flowing Lost Creek amid a stand of lodgepole pines and aspen surrounded by high rock walls. All in all, a lovely camping spot for the night. It didn't take long to get set up before Bubba came cruising by to make sure all the campers (us and one tent) had filled out the proper forms and secured one to each site post. I noticed when he pulled up in front of my trailer and got out of his car that Bubba had donned his official "ranger" shirt, however, failed to button it correctly allowing for a portion of his generous belly to "air out." Later, telling Carol about Bubba and his shirt she thought maybe he was a "pretend" ranger and the forest service only let him think he was the real thing. We dubbed him the "Faux Ranger." Fortunately, Bubba Faux Ranger, did not reappear the rest of the evening (which was short considering the hour I turn in for the night.

After a dinner of Honey Bunches of Oats sprinkled with a mixture of sliced almonds, dried quinoa, chia seed and fresh blackberries, I settled down to blogging. Fox is snoozing on my new 8" foam double bed and I am listening to the creek rushing down the mountain. All in all a very peaceful evening. Shortly, I will move the Fox over to his side of the bed as I climb in my side. If I could only stay up until it gets very dark I am certain the stars would blind me. Ah well, I'll see them at O'Dark Thirty as usual.

No comments: