Thursday, June 12, 2014

Dillon, Montana - June 13, 2014

A STOP ALONG THE WAY


I am here in the parking lot of an IGA at one of two exits in Dillon, MT. Beautiful country, in fact the drive from Idaho Falls was truly spectacular - a gift from the Gods. Carol is seeking out a vet to get meds for her pup, Dottie, that she forgot to bring with her. We enjoyed a nice lunch and have about an hours drive to Lost Trail State Park where we will spend the night. She and I are still pretty tired.

The second day out we camped outside of Gypsum, CO on Forest Service land. Not too inspiring but we needed the rest. Next day we headed to Dinasour National Monument where we took the next morning to visit the quarry. Quite impressive. Again, the country was lovely, high desert and very green for any time of the year. All the rivers we crossed, Arkansas, Colorado, Eagle, White Mountain and Green River were full to brimming. Still, the mountain tops had white peaks. Our next stop was Rock Springs, WY. A beautiful drive until we had to stay in the KOA Campgrounds. My least favorite place to stay but the only thing in town. Speaking of the town it was abombinal, full of oil rigs, trucks and hugh storage tanks. A God-forsaken place to live. As you have probably noticed I'm cramming the last few days into one entry because I just got this blog up and running. It took me a couple of times through the "help" video to get it and I still don't know much. Since I use my Ipad for most of my computer work now, I needed an app to help with blogging. Always something new, useful and slightly frustrating to learn about. At least now I will be able to write along the way and post to my blog when I have intenet.

Last night we stayed in Idaho Falls which was crowded and conjested with traffic. Happy to get on the road this am. I am enjoying a strong cup of coffee designed to keep me awake for the rest of the drive today.

An aside. . . Driving through the countryside has always been restful and meditative for me. Perhaps, because my family moved so much during my childhood and we always seemed to be taking road trips. Those were happy times because I remember the closeness and security of family. Since those days, whenever I feel down, a ride by myself in the car does the trick. There were many times I just wanted to keep going but the love for my children kept me at home. Even today, I am safest in the car. Now I need to get going.

Pictures are of Dinasour National Monument

 

 

No comments: