Thursday, June 12, 2014

NORTH TO ALASKA Summer 2014

 

June 8, 2014

Getting ready to get out of La Veta was a major task for both Carol and me. At the last minute she discovered a honey bee hive in her attic and had to arrange for that to be attended to. After several nights of restless sleep I decided that the twin bed I had in the Casita wasn't going to hack it. Sooooo, I arranged to get back the double bed size 4" foam I had given to Nancy Klinke. She wasn't using it so that worked for both of us. However, remembering why I got rid of the double bed foam in the first place (it didn't hack it either), I went to Walmart in Trinidad to get another 4" piece of memory foam. My dear friends, J and Denny, who own the RV park had been helping me prepare for the trip all week. Of course, poor Denny got stuck with removing the twin bed (which I gave to them). Due to the configuration of the Casita, I had to cut two ends to round them off. That meant laying the foam out on J's living room rug to get the proper cut. Finally, at 10 last night my bed was made and ready for me to fall in.

It bears mentioning that J's spare bedroom is stuffed with 2 suitcases, a box with a raven sculpture missing its wing, my oxygen concentrator and a TV set. I cringed every time I took something else to store in her house. Finally, after dumping gray and black water, filling up the water tank, hooking up the trailer and checking everything the Fox and I were ready to head out.

I met Carol at her house and helped her finish packing her Roadtrek. Then we grabbed a bite to eat at the new bakery and drove out of La Veta at around 1pm. One quick stop to check my trailer brakes and we were on our way. Me to the tune of Northern Exposure on my CD player.

We hit a wicked rain storm over La Veta pass and on into Fort Garland. The sky was simply spectacular sporting both dust and rain storm. Once again I marveled at the beautiful landscape as we drove to the Great Sand Dunes.

It didn't take too long to set up, pay our registration fee (%50 off for old ladies) and for me to get a pot of chicken soup going. Soup was a good choice since it just rained and hailed leaving the air rather nippily. Since we are both tired I suspect it will be an early night. Right now I am celebrating the fact I'm in a hard sided trailer and not freezing my buns off in a wet tent. Oh, and I even have a toilet and hot water in my cozy little Casita home. Life is GOOD!

 

No comments: