Monday, June 30, 2014

JASPER NATIONAL PARK, ALBERTA

 

As planned we pulled out at 7:00 am on our way to Jasper. Driving through some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen, we saw glacier after glacier and lake after lake. The reflections in Bow Lake made incredible geometric designs. One of these photos will certainly result in a painting. I have so many painting ideas in my head I will spend the next winter at the easel.


To top off the drive two black bears ran across the road, a mama and her cub. By the time I pulled over and got the camera out they were half way up the hill and I only managed to get a shot of their rear ends.

Our route took us by the Columbia Ice Fields, very impressive and very frigid. The glaciers here have been receding since 1884 when they were at their maximum. It is said that they have receded 1.5km since that time.

Honeymoon Lake was our next stop to check out camp sites . To our surprise there were a couple but the sites were narrow and very uneven we decided to go on to Kerkeslyn Mountain, recommended by the ranger at Lake Louise. It was only about 15mi down the road and we were glad we did, nice large sites. We set up then Carol helped me put up my mosquito screen tent. The center rod across the top was so hard to get in we decided it would have to live there the rest of the trip! Finally, it was up and I brought out my table cloth and dishes while Carol fixed lunch. We had to sit on one side of the table because it sloped so much. We live and learn. Next time I will just use my chairs and small table. At least it kept the mosquitos out.

After lunch we went back to honeymoon lake for photos and stopped at Sunwapta falls. Wow, the falls were certainly impressive. The river falls over a rock canyon then rushes through a small chute to the other side. You can readily see the power of rushing water! After the falls, we came back to camp. I enjoyed scrambled eggs with cheese, walked fox and fell into bed.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: