Sunday, August 10, 2014

Skagway and The Ferry

 

The day dawned bright and partly sunny, perfect for a ferry ride. We had to queue up at the ferry two hours before putting to sea so I walked around taking photos, walked Fox and ate my lunch. Port security came around to check that propane was off and went inside units to look for stowaways. That was kinda funny, guess they get a few of those. I was next to last to board and was told by this very jolly port security lady that I would have to BACK on. I said NO WAY! Not me. She assured me that the fellows would tell me exactly what I had to do. So there I was, stuck. It's not that I can't back the thing in, but over a narrow plank onto a ship is another thing! The guy in charge told me every step of the way exactly which way to turn the wheel and I drove her right on!

IWhen I got up on deck this passenger stopped me and told me what a good job I had done. Carol said no one could see the man helping me and everyone thought I had done it myself. I was the heroine of the ferry! We were outside on the deck when a couple came up to talk to me. She said "Oh, you're the one who backed the trailer on! Then she gushed for 30 minutes about Carol and I traveling all the way to Alaska alone. Her husband said, see, if they can do it so can you. What a pair.

The ride was only 1 hr and went by pretty fast. A fun experience. We got off in Skagway and found our RV park and low and behold here is the couple from the ferry right next to us in a 40 foot diesel pusher! Well, when she first introduced herself she says "Lakewood, CO, First Baptist Church in Westminister! Now they live in CA. What a character. The next morning when we left she comes running up to me arms outstretched to give me a big hug and says she is going to hold us up in prayer, that we have changed her life. I have to say she was a real love. She also gave me her address and said she had hookups at her house and we were welcome anytime.

That morning I went to the grocery and had to wait 30 min for it to open so I walked around and took a few photos. Skagway is a really quaint little town. Three cruise ships were in port and the town was crawling with Asians taking photos with iPad's and iPhones. The men all had huge honkin big cameras. What a funny lot. Of course, Carol and I had to get out of the crowd. It was much better at 7:30 in the morning when I went for groceries. IGA had a paucity of fruits and veggies, expired lettuce, a few apples and acorn squash. So, there you go. I bought a couple of bags of frozen berries and stir fry veggies. A half-gallon of organic milk was $6.99.


We left for Teslin, YT at around 8:30 and followed tour buses through the canyon to the Canadian border. At the border we were unfortunate to have a train pull in just before our turn and had to wait another 45 min before we could be processed. We stayed in a campground just outside of Teslin. Carol caught a cold and wasn't feeling too hot but we did mange the 78 mi to Boya Lake, a state park in BC.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: