Monday, August 11, 2014

Kanaskan Provincial Park

 

We drove 170 mi to Kinaskan Park and it seemed like 370. The road is quite narrow, gravely with potholes. Consequently, we had to go slow. We were rewarded by a young bear nonchalantly crossing the road. He could have cared less about us; however, the road was far too narrow to stop for photos. Shortly after that a huge moose started to run into the road. He came out from behind a tree, saw me and swerved. Thank God, because I surely would have hit him. A bit frightening.

Kinaskan is a lovely place and once again we both had sites on the lake. The ranger was really nice to us and she only charged us half price to stay. I was out early to get a couple of sunrise shots and Carol managed to get some of a loon last night. The lake this morning was very still and quiet. We haven't taken many photos because the road is so narrow and there are very few places to pull out. This is a particularly wild area with services only about every 150 mi. Of course, it is quite beautiful. Mostly we see native people along here. The photos I posted earlier of the lake at sunrise were actually of Kinaskan Lake.

Last night I calculated that we have 975 mi to reach the Washington state border. It will probably take us 8 or 9 days. After that we will have phone service again. Most of our camping is dry camping (without electric) so we take bucket baths and our hair washing has to wait till we have elec. The commercial RV parks are typically on gravel and not very attractive. Most of the time you have to pay for showers, $2 for 2 min. I hardly get my hair wet in 2 min. Camping in the provincial is so much nicer as you are there in the quiet and with the wildlife. The only way to go.

I do have a camper shower, a plastic 2 gal container with a spray hose. You fill it up then set it in the sun to get hot. I threw it in the back of the truck to heat up while I travel. Now, if the sun will shine I'll be in business. Water is provided at the campgrounds but you have to use an old fashioned pump to get it.

A typical day for us starts at 5:30 or 6. I take Fox out then settle down with coffee to do some writing, not before checking the area for wildlife, however. There are often great photos to be had in the early morning. After coffee and breakfast we walk the dogs and prepare to get on the road. We travel pretty slow, stopping frequently to get photos or visit sights along the way. We stop anywhere from 2 to 4 in the afternoon depending on where our campground is. Every night we have dinner in my trailer. Carol is the salad and cornbread chef and I create whatever entree we are having. I make a lot of homemade soup. Last night was tortilla chicken soup and cranberry cornbread. After dinner we plan the next day's drive and where we will camp. The campgrounds are easy to come by since our map lists them all.

Time to get going!

 

 

 

No comments: