Friday, September 11, 2009

Camping on the Rio

The air is pink. That happens sometimes at sunset in the mountains. . .the air itself appears pink, we call it Alpine Glow. There is nothing like the clear mountain air in the fall. The forest is changing color and the Aspen are taking on their gold color. This is spectacular country and as I drove along to Creed I thought about how much I had always wanted to live in the mountains. Watching the Rio Grande and shear rock outcroppings trimmed in pines everything around me was truly breathtaking. Creed is a lovely little mountain town with galleries, shops and white water rafting tours advertised along the river. I used to enjoy shopping in these little towns but now I am more interested in the art galleries and camping in this magnificent wilderness. When one looks around at the beauty it is hard to think about the hustle and bustle of the rest of the world. I am fortunate to be loving this life.
I will return here next July to kayak. The water is up then and should be great fun. When I get home tomorrow I am going to take the kayak out myself at Lathrop Lake in the National Park. That way I can practice. This is such a fun sport! Surprisingly, after my trip yesterday I'm not sore except in the abs. Paddling is good exercise. Until tomorrow, peace to all.

No comments: