Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Camping on the Rio

After an uneventful, eventful summer the Fox and I have escaped in the Casita to Creed, CO. We joined Marilyn and Carl on a short trip to try our hand at kayaking the Rio Grande and exploring the area. Early in the summer I decided it would be a good idea to buy an inflatable kayak. Inflatable because it is lighter and easier for me to carry (or so I thought). Only weighs 32lbs and I figured I could easily carry that down to the water. Oh no, no way Jose! I guess I keep forgetting my ageing body. Damn! The trials of getting old. Not to be foiled I rigged up my pull golf cart to carry the load. My old duffel bag bolted to the cart works just fine to tote the kayak and its accessories.



My friend, Janey, and I tested the equipment on the little Wahatoya Lake across from my house. Everything worked great and we paddled along taking in the beautiful valley we call home. All was fine until I tried to push the kayak onto the landing (with Janey pulling). My sandal caught in the mud throwing me off balance and I fell into the water (only 6" deep) and managed to break my arm. (:-( That was the great event that preceded the uneventful summer). No more golf or kayaking. Fortunately, I only have three more weeks in the cast. I did decide that the arm was strong enough to go camping and kayaking. Stay tuned tomorrow.

We were going to leave this am at 10 and I was up at 5:30 to be sure I would be ready. Getting the Casita ready is now down to a science since I've done it so many times. Had the furnace fixed so all was set to go. I pulled up in front of Marilyn's exactly at 10. Carl still had a few things to do so I went to the gas station to check the air in the tires and get gas. Then back to Marilyn's. Carl was still doing some things so we finally left at a little after 11. This was a 2 hr. trip down 160 over the pass and on to Alamosa, Del Norte and South Fork. We pulled into a very nice campground right on the river. It took me about 20 minutes to get everything hooked up and the rug out, chairs, table and awning. I am getting soooooo good. An hour an a half later Carl still wasn't hooked up. Unfortunately, the hitch fell off of its stand and his trailer sank down on its front knees kinda like a big circus elephant. I had to stifle my snickering. Carl had the hitch bar on top of what looks like an orange traffic cone then whoops! Luckily the neighbor, a big hunk dressed in a "I'm a stud pressed hiking shirt" with an Aussie like hat with leather straps under his chin just happened to have a very large jack. Presto, chango, all fixed. Then Carl had to drain the trailer of bleach water and refill her. Too bad, the cold water faucet in the kitchen wouldn't work, must be plugged saith poor Carl. Marilyn had to borrow two pills for her migraine. A trying day for the Shunks. I played ball with Foxy down by the river and tried not to look in their direction.
Tomorrow, Marilyn and I plan to kayak up and down the river then go into Creed to shop (:-). Until then. . . . .

No comments: