Friday, August 22, 2014

Montana


It was great to be back in the US. Glacier National Park sure looks different in the sun, although, it was very hazy from the Washington fires. We spent the night at St. Mary's campground and headed to Great Falls the next morning. Carol was worried about her brakes so she stopped in a small town to have them checked out. I drove on to Great Falls and camped at Headwaters State Park. Turns out Carol had to drive to yet another small town for her brakes. They told her her rear brakes were gone and the front almost gone. She had to stay there 2 days to have them fixed. We decided we might meet up later or for sure in LV.

GLACIER NATIONAL PARK

My stay in Headwaters State Park was really enjoyable. The Jefferson, Madison ans Gallatin rivers come together here to form the mighty Missouri River. My campground site was on the Madison. Turns out that the town of Gallatin once stood here as an attempt to be a shipping center during the gold rush days. It didn't pan out and the below of the town hotel is all that is left.



In this area of Montana you can see forever. . . The hills, blanketed with soft grasses, are reminiscent of gentle ocean swells, rolling on and reflecting the ever changing colors of yellows, purples, blues and sienna. Towering mountains loom in the distance and the sky sports billowing clouds that cast their shadows below. This land is immense and it is no wonder Montanans call it Big Sky Country. I had to hurry out in the morning to catch the sunrise.




Once again I was awakened by the howling of one of my favorite animals the Trickster coyote. Just love their yipping. This is by far my favorite place to be. I think spending a good bit of time in Texas has something to do with that.

I was only about 88 mi from Yellowstone so I drove to Baker's Hole campground just outside of West Yellowstone and spent the day at the IMAX theater and Yellowstone museum. Tomorrow I'll head into the park for a couple of days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: