Tuesday, March 3, 2009

New Mexico

We left Ft Davis, TX the day before yesterday and what a gorgeous drive out of the mountains. I guess I am just enamored with the desert beauty, could hardly keep my eyes on the road. After leaving the mountains it was a straight shot across level desert into El Paso. The last time I was there was 1971. Wow, have things changed. The city seemed huge to me, dusty, all highways and traffic. We plowed through to Anthony, a small town on the TX/NM border. Why Anthony?? Well, my toilet wouldn't flush and needed a new valve (flusher to most of us). I parked at the Great American Gravel Flats RV Park adjacent to Camping World and waited for Monday. What a horrible place to stay. This is a new park with absolutely no trees, bushes or even grass. . . just gravel for what seemed miles, interspersed with electric boxes, dumps and water faucets. . . hundreds of them. The old gal who runs the place gave me a 5 min lecture on picking up dog poop. I wanted to pop her in the chops! She kept saying "It's not me, it's the owner."

There were several signs located around the park showing the EXITS; however, when I left in the am there were no longer any signs, only orange cones blocking every (did I say every) street. Oh, did I also say that there were about 10 rigs and around 500 parking spaces?

Woops, let me back up a bit. When the repair guy asked me for the keys to the Casita to fix the T I couldn't find them. UGH. So back to Gravel Flats to see if I dropped them there. After a search of car, purse and ground I gave up. They used a pass key to gain access. At least I thought they did. When the repair guy showed me the working T I said that I would have to have a pass key made before I left. He looked at me quizzically and said why, here are the keys (he was holding them). I couldn't believe it. He said he found them on the door handle of the passenger side of the car (on the outside!). Well, whadaya know.

The next 2 hrs we drove on to Deming where we are parked in the LOW RV Ranch. Something to do with Loners, singles (legally single, guess they had trouble with the other kind@#$%??)/. So I stayed and joined them for happy hour with my bottle of water then on to the pot luck. Yummy, meatloaf, two vegie hot dishes and a Rum cake I couldn't eat. The company was interesting and pleasant. These are full-time RVrs all in their late 60/70's. One guy said he never knows if he'll be around for the next day. . . he can't even buy green bananas just in case. . . . . . Broke me up!

Fox is looking at me with soulful eyes, please take me out to play. So, I am off to somewhere after a dog walk and shower. Later. . .

No comments: