Monday, October 20, 2008

Traveling through Kansas

Well, yesterday was interesting to say the least. I had my first lesson in being prepared! I drove all the way from Grand Island to Littleton, too much for my stress level. I dropped down to Kansas route 36 to avoid trucks on 80. The road was super and I would recommend it, hardly any traffic. Of course, with no traffic, no gas stations. I had half a tank when I hit the Colorado border and 113 miles to Byer. I drove through some town that started with and I and the only gas station was closed. No problem I thought there are six to go before I run out of gas. The first five did not even have a gas station and Anton (my dead end spot) had one that was closed. I pulled in and noticed a pick up parked in front so I banged on the door. I could see someone way in the back with a light on appearing to ignore me. So I banged louder, went to another door and banged even louder. Finally 2 guys came to the door and I told them I was desperate for gas. One was the owner and he opened the pump for me so I could buy $20 worth. They were very nice and saved me from a night in Anton. The next station I came to was 55 mi down the road!
Decided to skip the toll road and take I70 to 225. Well, of course, I missed my exit because you can't exactly change lanes on 3 sec notice. So I took the long way through downtown Denver. Ugh, that goodness it was Sunday, still packed with cars. Spent the night in the Casita in front of Greg's house and will head up to Bailey this afternoon.. Now I am tired and wish only to be home. Of course it is always great to see the kids. I am going to see if Grace will take a walk with Foxy and me.
Cold this am so I expect it will be freezing in Bailey tonight. The boys are wrestling so I will go to their matches. In the meantime I am going to the container store and buy some goodies for the Casita. Might even drop by Anthropologie for another kind of goodie (:-)

No comments: