Saturday, October 18, 2008

Grand Island, NE

We are parked in the Mormon State Park outside of Grand Island. It is windy as it usually is in NE, but warmer, sunny and rather nice. I woke up at 5:15 am, took Fox out and climbed back in bed until 8 am. Quite a late morning for me and the fog and cold made it all the better. Clarinda was only 2mi away so we crossed the Nodaway River and drove into town. Love the name of that river. They refer to the valley as the Nodaway Valley. Makes me dream of a sunny summer day lazin around the river, and, you know, nodding away. Love that dream. Clarinda is the county seat for Page county and the courthouse is in the middle of the town square. I know Dad must have walked around that square and I am sure it wasn't paved. I can just picture a little boy running across the dusty road on his way home from school. At least, that is how I like to think about it. I took several pictures, looked for good coffee which I didn't find, then hopped in the car and headed out. Highway 2 takes you south missing Omaha and into Lincoln. There I stopped at WalMart and fixed some lunch, grabbed a MAC Donald's senior coffee and got back on the road. While stopped at Wal Mart I tried to find my high school friend's, Bee, phone number. No luck so I will have to email her. It would have been nice to see her on my way through.
Highway 2 is a beautiful drive and I highly recommend that Route. Oh, forgot to mention my stop at the Iowa welcome center. Met a nice lady who was reading Guns, Steel & Germs. I commented on how much I enjoyed the book. She said she might be too stupid to understand it but it sure made her think twice about this "evolution" idea. Then she went on to tell me about her daughter flunking her first psych course in college because the prof was an athesist and she couldn't agree with him. Now I am wondering how Obama managed to take the state of Iowa???? Got to love it.
One thing I have learned about my wanderings is that I don't like driving over 200mi and I love meeting people along the way. The sun is on its way down and I need to plot tomorrows trip. Ta, Ta.

No comments: