Thursday, September 20, 2012

Time at the Lake

This morning finds us about to break camp and head out to South Dakota and the Buffalo Roundup.  This has been a most enjoyable stay at Cherry Creek Park in the middle of the Denver metro area.  If you are able to tune out the constant hum of the traffic surrounding the park you will find a lovely spot in which to vacation.  Hard for me since I used to live here and the traffic and polllution annoys me to say the least.

Meeting the Casitans was fun, per usual, and the pot-lucks and get togethers were enjoyable.  Larry, the fix it man, put a new hot water heater in my Casita plus a couple of other modifications I needed. He and his wife, Debbie, are life savers not to mention just plain wonderful people.

Sat I went to grandson Jack's soccer game.  What a cute kid he is, 13 yrs old, and what a super soccer player.  Wow!  It is hard to explain his level of expertize.  You have to know soccer.  But this guy knows all the moves and where to be at any given time.  A joy to watch!

Before the game I went for a walk on the other side of the lake where the marina is.  Quite the walk.  I happened to notice a couple just off the trail in the woods.  They were kissing, and I do mean kissing.  Interestingly, they were an older couple, she with white hair and he with gray.  I noticed him because he had on a white shirt that stood out among the trees.  I found myself wishing it had been me he was kissing like that.  Oh well, one can dream can't one?

The sunsets here are breathtaking, partly due to smoke from forest fires to the north.  A walk on the beach revealed georgous pinks and purples in the water.  So Lovely!  Funny thing, that night I dreamt  I was in Africa at lake Victoria when a huge flock of flamingos darkened the horizon and landed on the lake.  One seemed to come very close wanting to talk  to me.  Their beautiful pink feathers seemed to blend with the sunset.  Wow, what a lovely dream.

Last night I walked to the beach to take sunset pictures.  A lovely sight greeted me. . . a young latino girl, dressed in a bright pink evening gown with tiers of flowing ruffles, was sitting in the water her dress bellowing up around her.  There were 2 men and another girl with cameras taking photos of this beautiful vision.  Her mother, standing on the beach, told me it was her Quintinea celebration of her 15th birthday.  This is a special celebration for Latino girls coming of age.  I watched for some time as she posed for her Quintinea photos.

My good buddy, Pete, and dog, Oscar, are here and we are travelling together to SD.  I brought along my Mother's harmonica and Pete is giving me lessons.  Truth to tell, I am not a quick study!  But it is fun.  I will debut Suawanne River sometime soon.

Little Fox is curled up beside me.  He is enjoying the trip, especially the many walks witih Oscar.  You don't realize it, but the pets make friends at rallys too and they don't forget them.  It is a joy to see them greet each other everyday.  It is not the same greeting as when they meet a new dog.  You know the routine, wagging tails, circling one another to get that most important sniff of the hind-end. Friends greet one another with wagging tails and a couple touches to the nose then it's time for the walk.  Gotta love them.

Time to get going on today's journey.

No comments: