Sunday, January 30, 2011

St. George Island




St. George Island is one of the few places left on the Florida coast that has not been totally overrun by high rise condos and hotels. We spent a week there in 1968 just before going to Ethiopia. White, sugar sands and turquoise water. Now, there is a FL State Park at one end of the Island. The camp sites are in a pine forest and a ten minute walk to the beach. It was totally deserted the day I went shell collecting. What a sight, there were star fish everywhere. I decided to pick up some shells to use as ramekins for baking. I figured I could make some lobster Newburg and serve it in the shells, or more probably tuna hot dish or perhaps tater-tot casserole (a favorite of Aunt Deb and daughter Haley). Yukky. I'll think of something to put in those shells.

No comments: