Saturday, June 5, 2010

On To Gallup

I convinced my fellow travelers to stop at Acoma Pueblo on the way to Gallup. Acoma is the oldest continually inhabited pueblo in North America (2,000 yrs). Commonly referred to as sky city it is set upon a mesa jutting up 375 ft from the valley floor. A really beautiful place to see. Since I had been there before I didn't take any pictures, sorry about that. If you are ever in this part of NM it is a must see.

We camped that night in the Cibillo National Forest, a much needed break from the KOA. A lovely relaxing evening. Pete entertained us with a flute concert. Both Native American and Celtic music. We had a huge campfire and ate brats that Maureen fixed. I must say that I was so tired from the day that I could hardly keep my eyes open. Foxy and Pete's pup, Oscar, had a high old time playing ball together. What a pair. They both needed to run off a little excess energy.

The next morning I had to leave the group and head home. Truly, I will miss them, such a lovely group of people and I enjoyed traveling with them so much. I really hated to leave. But. . . since I had to be at another Casita Rally at Cheyenne Mt. State Park on Friday, it was time to say good by.

The Fox and I drove to Shiprock then turned right and headed into Chama. I wanted to make it all the way to LaVeta but was much too tired so we stopped at a camp by the river and rested for the night. When we pulled into La Veta the next day we stopped for the mail, milk at Charlie's and took off for home. My first job when I walked in the door was to lie down and nap for 2 yrs. Then I got up to do wash and get ready to leave the next morning. Thurs night is always Taco night at Sammie's so Deb and Larry picked me up (didn't want to unhook the Casita) and we went to dinner. Wow, what a trip! Great fun and great people.

No comments: